Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Endurance

 "Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us" -Hebrews 12:1
I love to run. I don't know what it is but there is just a simple joy in lacing up my shoes and going on a jog around the neighborhood. I've always done 5k's, 8k's and 10k races but I am now in training to complete my longest run to date: a half marathon. That's 13.1 miles!

This past weekend I ran in the 'Beat the Bridge' race here in Seattle. 20 minutes after the last runner crosses the start line, the University Bridge goes up, stopping any runners from getting across until it is lowered again. I am happy to say that I beat the bridge. :)


Running is an endurance sport but not just for the athletic side. Endurance is needed in controling your mind too. Something happens in your head when you run. I expressed my joy for running but on my longer runs, there comes a point in the middle when my mind wanders and I just don't think I can do it. All through the run I am convincing myself that I can do this, making up little things in my head to keep my mind occupied while my legs continue to work. I think in life we let the same thing happen to ourselves. We sabotage our efforts for what we truly want. We let sin come in and ensnare us. But it is in trusting God and laying aside those sins that we can truly move forward.

The half marathon I want to compete in is taking place this fall so I have some time to prepare mentally and train physically for this feat. It won't be easy but it will be so wonderful to achieve this goal of mine and tell that little negative voice in my head "Yes I can!".

No comments:

Post a Comment